What is landscaping?
Landscaping is an area of property usually surrounding a building or a home in which the designer uses the natural environment of an area and weaves into it a new design by using plants shrubs, grasses, rock or retaining walls, or even gazebos, and making it flow seamlessly with the surrounding environment.
Why is it important?
There are many reasons to landscape. One reason includes the desire to make an area look attractive, or even to make an area functional for the homeowner additional living spaces or for recreation or relaxation.
How does landscaping relate to custom home building?
Landscaping enhances the custom home around which it surrounds. The planning usually begins with laying the pathways or concreting the desired areas, then adding further features such as fountains, retaining walls, stone walls, benches or even a trellis. Once the solid foundations are in place, then trees, shrubs and plants are added to enhance its desired look. Good landscaping will complement the natural environment.
What are the benefits of landscaping?
While landscaping will indeed beautify a home or business, it will also do the following:
- Enhances the value of your home –even more than a kitchen or bath renovation, or the addition of a deck or swimming pool. A well-landscaped yard can increase the value of a home or office from 100 to 200 percent (Money Magazine, April 1986).
- Reduces air conditioning costs tremendously if trees shade the windows and walls of a home (American Public Power Association).
- Improves water quality by planting trees, which reduces runoff and erosion (American Public Power Association).
- Doubles or triples the area footage of living space by creating outdoor living spaces, such as areas for eating, grilling or cooking outdoors, recreation and definitely relaxation. It can double the options for living options than if you relied on the inside of your house alone.
- Landscaping will provide shelter from wind, rain, and the hot summer sun.
- The biggest benefit is that landscaping will increase the aesthetic quality of your property.
- An attractive property will reflect positively on its owner.
For more information as to how a professionally designed landscape can improve the value and look of your home, call the Utah custom home builders at Maple Shade Construction. Call our American Fork Utah office at 801-420-5292. We will guide you through the options and process of landscaping, in which you will have not only the most beautiful yard, but also the most functional as well. We’ll even help you find a qualified landscaper.